Manchester United have entered talks with Watford to sign goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Red Devils are currently in the process of loaning out Dean Henderson to newly-promoted Premier League side Nottingham Forest.
However, they seem keen on pursuing a replacement before sanctioning the move. Bachman has now emerged as the priority target.
As per Romano, United have opened negotiations with the Hornets for the Austrian, but the Championship outfit will only consider a permanent deal.
Meanwhile, a separate report from Goal has revealed that the Hornets are looking for at least £4 million to part ways with the 27-year-old.
Henderson has been a solid deputy for De Gea over the past two seasons, but the club graduate now appears keen on pursuing regular first-team football.
With the World Cup in November this year, the 25-year-old will be hoping to make a big impact for Forest such that he can make a late push for the England squad.
United are happy to loan him out for the season, but they may need a quality deputy. Tom Heaton has vast Premier League experience, but has played just one half of competitive football over the last two years.
The Red Devils could be wary of trusting him with the back-up role to De Gea next term. Hence, they are in talks to sign Bachmann, who could prove a solid back-up.
Bachmann has been a regular second choice for most of his playing career, but has made a good impression. He has 13 caps for his country since his debut in June last year.
It remains to be seen whether United will meet Watford’s valuation for the shot-stopper. Bachmann is unlikely to decline the chance to represent a club of United’s calibre.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest