Manchester United have entered the race to sign Chelsea target Malo Gusto, according to French journalist Fabrice Hawkins.
The 19-year-old is regarded as one of the best upcoming right-backs in European football and the Blues are already in contact with Lyon over a transfer.
The west Londoners have agreed personal terms over a long-term deal with him and have also made an opening transfer offer to the French outfit.
It is now reported that the Red Devils have entered the pursuit of the young attacking right-back, having been linked with him regularly last summer.
According to Hawkins, the club have asked the player not to rush over his decision.
Man Utd could hijack Chelsea’s pursuit of Gusto
United currently have Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka as the regular right-back choices. Dalot was almost ever-present before the World Cup break under manager Erik ten Hag.
Following the tournament, there has been a complete turnaround in fortunes for Wan-Bissaka. The 25-year-old has nailed a regular starting role with Dalot struggling with injuries.
Despite this, United could be looking to replace him. He had a poor league outing against Arsenal last weekend where he was partly responsible for two goals conceded in the 3-2 loss.
This may influence the hierarchy to spend on an upgrade. Gusto would be perfect for the Red Devils.
The ‘powerful‘ teenager is an attacking right-back by trade. He likes to make regular overlapping runs and has averaged an impressive 30 passes in the opposition half per appearance.
He has also registered two crosses per game with 1.5 key passes. His playing style can be compared with Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold, though he is much better defensively.
Gusto has won nearly five duels per outing alongside 2.1 successful tackles. He is not aerially dominant but makes up for it with his terrific work rate and ability to retain possession.
Lyon are currently reluctant to lose Gusto this month but may eventually sell him as he will enter the final year of his deal in July. United must beat Chelsea to the player’s signature.
He should stand a better chance of playing more regularly at United than at Chelsea where he may not displace Reece James. His arrival probably means that Wan-Bissaka will be leaving.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities