Manchester United have entered discussions with Barcelona over the potential transfer of Frenkie de Jong, Fabrizio Romano reports.
De Jong has been identified as the prime midfield target for the Red Devils, but they are yet to make any progress over a summer move.
United have opened direct talks with Barcelona for De Jong, but he is unconvinced by the prospect of leaving the Catalan giants
De Jong also prefers to play in the Champions League. United still hope to take advantage of Barcelona’s financial problems to sign him.
The La Liga club value the Dutchman at €85 million. They are currently awaiting an opening bid from the Red Devils.
De Jong would be an excellent acquisition for United. He is exceptional with the ball at his feet and has completed over 91 per cent of his passes throughout his career.
The 25-year-old has largely played as a central midfielder at Barcelona, but previously excelled from the holding role at Ajax. Erik ten Hag was his manager back then. There are no surprises that he is eyeing a reunion.
Ten Hag has reportedly made a few personal phone calls to convince De Jong, but the midfielder has yet to give the green light. United are still continuing their pursuit in the hope of convincing him.
Their chances could be boosted if Barcelona attempt to push the Dutchman towards an exit. The club are eager to recoup funds before the financial year ends on June 30, and De Jong could be urged to move on.
With no other big-hitters in Europe interested at the moment, United seem well placed to sign him when the opportunity arises. They may still seek to lower the price, knowing that Barcelona need a quick sale.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest