Casemiro has been a fantastic signing for Manchester United, staking a claim as one of the Premier League’s best defensive-midfielders since his arrival from Real Madrid.
However, journalist Ben Jacobs says Eric ten Hag may be in the market for another addition to the engine room.
Despite having Fred, Donny van de Beek and Scott McTominay who can provide substance in midfield, United ‘have discussed’ signing Brighton & Hove Albion’s Alexis Mac Allister this summer.
The 24-year-old has a £60 million asking price and would surely jump at the chance to join the Red Devils, but Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are also keen.
Jacobs said in his CaughtOffside.com column: “A slightly cheaper option from Brighton could be Mac Allister. Manchester City and Manchester United have discussed him internally, but nothing more than that at this point. Liverpool and Chelsea are ones to watch as well.”
Mac Allister joined Brighton from AA Argentinos Juniors in 2019 and has made 95 appearances in all competitions, scoring 16 goals with seven assists.
The Argentine international, who won the World Cup with his national team in December, has an excellent eye for goal and turning over possession, so he’s a threat in both boxes.
Mac Allister would be second in the United squad for goals (6), second for tackles made per game (2.6), fifth for chances created per game (1.2), second for successful dribbles per game (1), first for most fouls won per game (1.4), sixth for interceptions made per game (1.1), third for passes made per game (53.7) and second for pass accuracy (88.6%).
McTominay has started only seven league games this season, while Van de Beek managed just two league starts before being ruled out with a long-term knee injury, so United might shop for another midfielder.
Mac Allister won’t come cheap with a £60m valuation, and time will tell how this story ends.
Stats from Transfermarkt and WhoScored
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books