Manchester United are determined to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves during the ongoing transfer window, The Sun reports.
The Portugal international has been with the Midlands outfit for the past four-and-a-half seasons, but he is now eyeing a bigger challenge elsewhere.
United have been one of his long-term admirers, and reports claim that they could make an approach for his services during the current month.
A new midfielder is a priority for interim boss Ralf Rangnick with Scott McTominay, Fred and Nemanja Matic underperforming.
United’s hierarchy have set their sights on landing Neves, who recently stood out during Wolves’ 1-0 Premier League triumph at Old Trafford.
They are considering a bid of £35 million, but Wolves are likely to hold out for more than £40m for the midfielder, who has two years left on his contract.
It is still unclear whether Rangnick would give the green light for the deal. The German tactician may prefer a recruit from the Bundesliga.
Neves has established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the English top-flight. He has been almost ever-present for Wolves.
In the current season, the 24-year-old has been in fine form in the centre of the park, registering nearly two tackles and two take-ons per game.
Aside from his defensive contribution, the Portuguese has a tireless work rate and regularly presses opposition midfielders off the ball.
These attributes should please Rangnick, but it is uncertain whether the German wants to bring the midfielder to Old Trafford.
Rangnick is well versed with his knowledge in German football, and it was recently claimed that RB Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara was the prime target.
The 23-year-old has a £32m release clause on his contract, but it could be difficult to sign him this month amid his African Cup of Nations commitments with Mali.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham