Manchester United are determined to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves during the ongoing transfer window, The Sun reports.
The Portugal international has been with the Midlands outfit for the past four-and-a-half seasons, but he is now eyeing a bigger challenge elsewhere.
United have been one of his long-term admirers, and reports claim that they could make an approach for his services during the current month.
A new midfielder is a priority for interim boss Ralf Rangnick with Scott McTominay, Fred and Nemanja Matic underperforming.
United’s hierarchy have set their sights on landing Neves, who recently stood out during Wolves’ 1-0 Premier League triumph at Old Trafford.
They are considering a bid of £35 million, but Wolves are likely to hold out for more than £40m for the midfielder, who has two years left on his contract.
It is still unclear whether Rangnick would give the green light for the deal. The German tactician may prefer a recruit from the Bundesliga.
Neves has established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the English top-flight. He has been almost ever-present for Wolves.
In the current season, the 24-year-old has been in fine form in the centre of the park, registering nearly two tackles and two take-ons per game.
Aside from his defensive contribution, the Portuguese has a tireless work rate and regularly presses opposition midfielders off the ball.
These attributes should please Rangnick, but it is uncertain whether the German wants to bring the midfielder to Old Trafford.
Rangnick is well versed with his knowledge in German football, and it was recently claimed that RB Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara was the prime target.
The 23-year-old has a £32m release clause on his contract, but it could be difficult to sign him this month amid his African Cup of Nations commitments with Mali.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd very close to signing Frenkie de Jong, transfer likely by June 30
- Man Utd can sign Goncalo Inacio with offer close to release clause
- Man Utd need to offer €10m more as fixed fee to sign Frenkie de Jong
- Gary Neville hits out after Man Utd pay out dividends to shareholders
- Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by Jorge Mendes
- Man Utd have made an offer for Leeds star Raphinha
- David Ornstein fancies Christian Eriksen to end up at Man Utd
- Man Utd in pole position to sign Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd interested in Inter Milan defender Stefan de Vrij
- Man Utd offer €65m plus add-ons for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong