Manchester United left-back Alvaro Fernandez is the next priority target for Benfica this month, according to Portuguese publication Record (page 11).
The Primeira Liga champions recently secured an agreement with Santos to sign striker Marcos Leonardo. They agreed to pay €18m for his services.
Record claim that Benfica will now turn their attention to Fernandez, who is currently on a season-long loan deal at Granada from the Red Devils.
The club have already spoken with both Granada and United. They plan to sign the Spaniard for €7m while parting ways with David Jurasek.
Fernandez has managed less than 500 La Liga minutes for struggling Granada this term, but he did start the 2-0 win over Cadiz on Wednesday.
Fernandez could leave Man Utd this winter
The 20-year-old was involved with United during pre-season last summer, but he has yet to make a competitive appearance for the club.
It was suggested that he could stay after Tyrell Malacia’s knee injury, but United preferred to sign Sergio Reguilon on loan from Tottenham Hotspur.
Reguilon has today returned to Spurs after a break clause was triggered in his contract, but this is unlikely to change the position of Fernandez.
Malacia is anticipated to return at some point this month. Aside from him, United have Luke Shaw and Diogo Dalot, who can comfortably slot at left-back.
Hence, we are not surprised that Fernandez has been linked with an exit. In our view, United may want a sell-on clause to be included as part of the deal.
If Fernandez were to become a top-class defender in future, the Red Devils could directly benefit financially as Benfica tend to set high price tags.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow