Manchester United have already completed the signings of two players this summer and Jose Mourinho wants a third before the World Cup kicks off on Thursday, according to reports.
Earlier this month we agreed a deal with Shakhtar Donetsk to sign central midfielder Fred and days later agreed to bring 19-year-old full-back Diogo Dalot from FC Porto.
The Sun understand that Jose wants to bring in a third new signing before Russia take on Saudi Arabia in the 2018 World Cup opener on Thursday – less than 48 hours away.
We have been linked to several players this summer but the report states that we are in talks with Tottenham Hotspur over the potential signing of Toby Alderweireld for around £50 million.
The centre-back has been strongly linked with us in recent weeks and only made 13 Premier League starts for the North London club last season due to a mixture of injuries and the form of Davinson Sanchez.
Alderweireld has 12 months left on his contract at Spurs and although Mauricio Pochettino’s side do have a clause to extend it by a further year it would mean a £25 million release clause is inserted. Therefore it is widely-expected that the Belgium international will be sold this summer.
It’s no secret that Jose Mourinho is keen to bring in a new centre-back at Manchester United and the signing of Toby Alderweireld would bring both experience and one of the best players in the Premier League over the past three seasons. However, at 29, the price does seem excessive.
We shall have to wait a couple of days to see how accurate this report is and whether we are successful in bringing in a third player before the start of the World Cup.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player