Manchester United could raise the pressure to sign River Plate midfielder Enzo Fernandez amid interest from Benfica, Portuguese outlet Record (today’s edition, page 4) claims.
The 21-year-old is regarded as one of Argentina’s best young midfielders and his progress has already caught the eye of several top European clubs.
Among those are Benfica, who have recently made contact with River Plate, but they are reluctant to meet the player’s €20 million release clause.
Amidst this, it has been reported that United and Manchester City could raise the pressure to sign the midfielder in the next transfer window.
Any interested club would still need to convince Fernandez, who wants to stay with River Plate this year to boost his World Cup selection prospects.
Fernandez is having a terrific year at River Plate, having registered eight goals and five assists from just 18 appearances.
His impressive showing has grabbed United’s attention. They have already watched his performances on a few occasions.
Hence, the transfer interest is not a surprise. The 21-year-old could be seen as a quality long-term signing under manager Erik ten Hag.
Fernandez generally operates from the defensive or central midfield role, and has the knack for making regular forward runs.
However, he is equally good defensively with an average of 1.7 tackles and 0.8 interceptions per league appearance this term.
It remains to be seen whether United can convince Fernandez over a summer move amid his World Cup dream with Argentina.
He wants to continue at River Plate until December. With the low transfer cost, United could be tempted to accept his demands to sign him.
City could be United’s main rivals for the midfielder, having already signed Julian Alvarez from River Plate at the beginning of the year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest