Manchester United could raise the pressure to sign River Plate midfielder Enzo Fernandez amid interest from Benfica, Portuguese outlet Record (today’s edition, page 4) claims.
The 21-year-old is regarded as one of Argentina’s best young midfielders and his progress has already caught the eye of several top European clubs.
Among those are Benfica, who have recently made contact with River Plate, but they are reluctant to meet the player’s €20 million release clause.
Amidst this, it has been reported that United and Manchester City could raise the pressure to sign the midfielder in the next transfer window.
Any interested club would still need to convince Fernandez, who wants to stay with River Plate this year to boost his World Cup selection prospects.
Fernandez is having a terrific year at River Plate, having registered eight goals and five assists from just 18 appearances.
His impressive showing has grabbed United’s attention. They have already watched his performances on a few occasions.
Hence, the transfer interest is not a surprise. The 21-year-old could be seen as a quality long-term signing under manager Erik ten Hag.
Fernandez generally operates from the defensive or central midfield role, and has the knack for making regular forward runs.
However, he is equally good defensively with an average of 1.7 tackles and 0.8 interceptions per league appearance this term.
It remains to be seen whether United can convince Fernandez over a summer move amid his World Cup dream with Argentina.
He wants to continue at River Plate until December. With the low transfer cost, United could be tempted to accept his demands to sign him.
City could be United’s main rivals for the midfielder, having already signed Julian Alvarez from River Plate at the beginning of the year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Rashford and Antony start
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash