Manchester United could pursue a summer deal for Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat.
The Red Devils tried to sign the 26-year-old on loan with an option to buy in January, but Fiorentina rejected the transfer proposal.
However, they are expected to consider his sale in the coming transfer window, given his contract expires in just over 12 months’ time.
Speaking to ESPN (via Sport Witness), his brother Nordin has now confirmed that he is looking to join one of the top European clubs.
He added to mention United’s interest and said that manager Erik ten Hag is charmed by Sofyan, who played under him at Utrecht.
The pair continue to share a good relationship, and Nordin believes the door is open for a reunion.
He said: “He is doing well at Fiorentina. You are not going to trade Italy for the middle bracket of the Premier League.”
“My brother is 26 years old; he wants to go to the top. Of course, you never know, it (Saudi Arabia) will be a strong competition when you see which names are going.
“But my brother now has the intention to play in the top, preferably in Spain or England, I think. I think in January (United showed interest). But Ten Hag is now looking for a striker, he wants that first.
“From there he will see what is possible. But I know that Ten Hag is charmed by my brother, he broke through under him. And they have a good relationship, so who knows.”
United have brilliant chance to sign Sofyan Amrabat
United are currently looking to sign a creative midfielder. Chelsea’s Mason Mount is the priority target.
However, the club could also target a defensive midfielder with the likes of Fred and Scott McTominay struggling to provide quality competition to Casemiro.
Sofyan would be a perfect acquisition this summer. He is brilliant with the ball at his feet, but also possesses the ability to win key challenges in the centre of the park.
He was on the losing end of the Europa Conference League final against West Ham United yesterday, but was still a stand-out performer, outclassing Declan Rice.
He won 91 per cent of his passes while winning four tackles and nine duels. In our opinion, the Moroccan would be a no-brainer signing for a knock down price.
The midfielder is valued at €25 million by Transfermarkt. United could prise him away for a similar fee. The funds could be recouped from the sale of either Fred or McTominay.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player