Manchester United could include Scott McTominay in a player-plus-cash deal to sign West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice this summer, according to Daily Mail.
The Red Devils are aiming to bolster their midfield department ahead of next season. They have already identified Chelsea’s Mason Mount as the priority target for the number eight role.
However, this has not stopped the speculation linking them with Rice and Daily Mail claim that the Red Devils could trump Arsenal by negotiating a part-exchange deal with the Hammers.
Arsenal are currently weighing up a structured deal worth £90 million for the 24-year-old but the east London outfit value their midfielder at more than £100m.
United may not afford the package with their limited budget but it is reported that they could offer McTominay as a makeweight. The 26-year-old has been on West Ham’s radar.
Bayern Munich are also interested in signing the England international but it has been reported that Rice is prepared to snub them to continue in the Premier League.
Man Utd may not pursue two midfielders
Mount has been earmarked as manager Erik ten Hag’s priority target this summer. Personal terms have reportedly been agreed over a transfer from Stamford Bridge.
There is currently a £30m difference in the valuation between the clubs but they are expected to find a solution soon. Chelsea won’t want to keep Mount for the final year of his contract.
The Blues graduate is likely to play in the number eight role, currently occupied by Christian Eriksen. His transfer could end the club’s apparent interest in signing Rice.
Rice would be a fabulous signing for the Red Devils but he could cost between £60-70 million even if McTominay is included in a part-exchange transfer for him.
The big stumbling block, however, could be playing time. Ten Hag may not guarantee Rice with a starting berth with Casemiro’s brilliant showing in defensive midfield.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd