Manchester United could miss out on landing Marseille midfielder Boubacar Kamara this summer amid the uncertainty over the manager situation, Foot Mercato claims.
Kamara was offered to the Red Devils during the winter transfer window, but a deal never materialised as the hierarchy were reluctant to spend until the appointment of a permanent manager.
The club are still searching for their head coach, and amidst this, Foot Mercato reports that they have fallen behind Atletico Madrid in the pursuit of the versatile midfielder.
The La Liga club failed with a late approach in January but have a ‘verbal agreement’ in place to sign him when his contract expires on June 30.
Meanwhile, United are reportedly looking at Mauricio Pochettino as their next manager, but there remains the question whether Kamara would fit into the Argentine’s plans.
Kamara has made a big impression for Marseille in Ligue 1. The 22-year-old has been a regular in the defensive midfield role this term, averaging two tackles and one interception per game.
He has also excelled with his distribution. The Frenchman has completed 90 per cent of his passes this campaign, a statistic which is superior compared to Scott McTominay, Fred and Nemanja Matic.
Kamara would be a solid upgrade for United in the defensive midfield position. The £22.5 million-rated star is also capable of playing at the heart of the defence with relative comfort.
Despite the promise shown, United appear reluctant to enter the pursuit as they don’t want to make a summer purchase until they get to know the plans of the next permanent manager.
This explains why they did not back interim boss Ralf Rangnick in January.
As things stand, Atletico look set to land Kamara with United unlikely to name their new manager until the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final