Manchester United have emerged as surprise contenders to sign Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario this summer, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (page 21).
The Red Devils currently have David de Gea as the undisputed starter between the sticks but manager Erik ten Hag recently said that he cannot guarantee his position in future.
The Dutch head coach insisted that there must be competition for places and Gazzetta dello Sport report that United are one of the clubs in contention to sign Vicario.
Aside from United, Napoli and Inter Milan are keeping tabs on the 26-year-old in case Andre Onana or Alex Meret head for the exit door during the summer.
Vicario emerges as surprise summer target
The Italian has had a superb second season at Empoli. He has averaged nearly three saves per game and has been pivotal in keeping them clear of the drop zone.
Aside from his shot-stopping, the former Udinese graduate has impressed with his ability to come off his line. He has made regular high claims with his good aerial presence.
Vicario has also fared well with his distribution. He has averaged 25 accurate passes with six long balls.
Empoli currently value him at around €25 million and it remains to be seen whether United enter the bidding battle for his services in the upcoming transfer window.
De Gea is on the verge of signing a new long-term deal but in our opinion, the Red Devils should still pursue another young goalkeeper to provide strong competition.
The Spaniard has made four errors in the current season and he has also been guilty of gifting possession. Ten Hag has still stuck with him with no quality back-up.
This needs to change ahead of next season. Vicario’s arrival at Old Trafford could keep De Gea on his toes knowing that he could be dropped if he makes another howler.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return