Manchester United could make a summer move to sign Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard following their surprise decision to land Manchester City right-back Joao Cancelo on loan.
Cancelo has been a pivotal figure in the Cityzens’ success over the past few years, but he has now agreed to make a surprise switch to Bayern on loan with an option to buy for €70 million.
The German champions have made the choice after an injury to Noussair Mazraoui, but it could have a direct impact on the future of Pavard, who is likely to drop down the pecking order.
The World Cup winner has been linked with an exit for the past few months and he could leave this summer, as per Fabrizio Romano. In our opinion, United could swoop for his signature.
Pavard could be United’s first-choice right-back
United currently have Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka as their regular right-back choices. Dalot was an undisputed starter before the World Cup but he has barely played since due to injuries.
This has directly benefitted Wan-Bissaka, who has got a regular run in the line-up. However, the 25-year-old is likely to be sold this summer as manager Erik ten Hag may want a more attacking option.
Pavard would be a fantastic signing in this regard. The Frenchman is one of the best full-backs in Europe. He has completed 63 passes per game for Bayern this term – with half of those in the opposition half.
The €35 million-rated star has chipped in with four goals, but has also been solid defensively with an average of 2.7 tackles, 2.1 clearances and 1.4 interceptions. He has won 70 per cent of his duels as well.
The 26-year-old would be a clear upgrade on Dalot in our view. He could establish himself as the first-choice right-back next season if United were to prise him away ahead of Barcelona among others.
Pavard’s versatility to play in central defence is another added boost for United. If Harry Maguire or Victor Lindelof leave, Pavard could fill that void too. United don’t need to invest in another centre-back.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books