Manchester United could make a serious move to sign Juventus striker Dusan Vlahovic during the January transfer window, a report from Corriere dello Sport claims (today’s edition, page 18).
The Red Devils are on the search for a new centre-forward next month following the release of Cristiano Ronaldo. The priority could be on landing a marquee option over a short-term signing.
Vlahovic is one of those that has been linked with a possible transfer, and it is now reported that United are ‘ready to get serious’ about him at the turn of the year.
Aside from United, Arsenal and Chelsea have also been credited with an interest in signing the Serbian, who could leave the Bianconeri in the space of 12 months.
United should consider a move for Vlahovic
United have left themselves short in the striking department after Ronaldo’s exit. Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are currently the senior strikers in the squad, but the former has been injury prone.
Martial has suffered three separate injuries this campaign and United can’t afford to rely on his fitness for the remainder of the season. Hence, they need to pursue another centre-forward next month.
Vlahovic was superb during the first half of last season at Fiorentina but he has failed to replicate those displays since joining Juventus. Despite this, he has 20 goal contributions from just 36 games.
The Bianconeri’s ongoing issues over taxation could pave the way for Vlahovic’s exit this winter and United should be alert if they want to prise him away ahead of their Premier League rivals.
Juventus will want to recoup the entire €70m paid for him up front. The big question is whether the Red Devils are prepared to spend such a huge fee midway through the ongoing campaign.
In our view, Vlahovic would be a good signing as he is only 22 years of age and has immense potential. However, the club should be wary of his chronic groin issues that have hampered him this year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth
- Man Utd already lined up to move for Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee
- Gareth Southgate eyeing Man United gem Kobbie Mainoo ahead of potential England debut next month