Manchester United have been very quiet during the January transfer window with caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer yet to bring any new players to club or more any squad members on.
We are strongly being linked with a move for Barcelona attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho but here at Red Rants we don’t seriously believe we’ll land the Brazilian this month.
One realistic target is 21-year-old Steven Bergwijn. The PSV Eindhoven winger has been impressing for the Dutch Eredivisie leaders by amassing nine goals and seven assists in his 16 league appearances already this season.
Bergwijn has got two caps for the Dutch national team with his debut coming as a start in the 3-0 UEFA Nations League A thrashing of Germany in October 2018. He is capable of playing on both wings but one would have to guess Solskjaer would be looking at the youngster to play on our right wing where the Norwegian has used both Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard.
According to a report in the Sun today, the boss is sending scouts to watch PSV’s two matches against FC Emmen and Groningen on Sunday 20 and Saturday 26 January respectively, a few days before the winter transfer window shuts.
The newspaper quotes that we could make a move for just £25 million – a bargain in today’s market.
Steven Bergwijn is quick and an excellent dribbler of the ball. What’s more, as per his seven assists this season, he creates chances for teammates as well as finding the back of the net himself. He has a decent long shot on him. One downside is that he doesn’t offer a great amount of effort when the opposition are in possession.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin