Manchester United are expected to sign another centre-back over the summer to partner Eric Bailly in our back four.
Last summer’s big buy, Victor Lindelof, has failed to settle into life in the Premier League and as a result has only made 11 starts – some of these due to a number of injuries, and some at right-back.
Jose Mourinho doesn’t seem keen on Chris Smalling and Phil Jones as long-term fixtures in the middle of our defence and either or both could be moved on over the summer as a result.
The Sun are reporting that we are considering bringing Jonny Evans back to Old Trafford – three years after Louis van Gaal sold him to West Bromwich Albion for £6 million.
Evans would be available for a cut-price £3 million assuming the Baggies are relegated to the Championship. They are currently eight points adrift of safety with only three games to play.
The Northern Ireland international was even linked to Manchester City earlier in the season before the West Midlands club refused to sell mid-season.
Jonny Evans made 131 Premier League appearances for us between 2006-15, winning the Premier League on three occasions. His 29 appearances for us during the 2011-12 campaign was the most in a single season for us but he has been a regular for West Brom over the past three years where he has arguably shown the form of his career.
Should we sign Jonny Evans for such a bargain price it would be interesting to see if Jose Mourinho sees him as Eric Bailly’s partner in centre defence or whether we will make a move for another centre-back this summer too.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday