Manchester United could consider Scott McTominay’s sale to West Ham United if they receive an offer between £40-45 million, The Telegraph report.
The Scotland international has made 209 appearances for the Red Devils since his debut in May 2017.
The 26-year-old has been a key player for United, but he is no longer assured a starting spot. Casemiro is now the first-choice holding midfielder.
The Hammers have an interest in signing McTominay, but it is claimed that they may need to cough up up to £45m to persuade United into a sale.
The Red Devils are looking to offload players to recoup funds, but Fred and Donny van de Beek are more likely to head for the exit door before McTominay.
As things stand, manager Erik ten Hag is happy to keep the midfielder, and would only be willing to sanction his sale if a serious transfer offer is made.
McTominay is also willing to bide his time and see how the United squad looks nearer to the deadline.
The Scot loves United and is ‘open to staying’, but ‘wants to play games’. The club graduate would be unhappy to spend a season sat on the sidelines.
United could only sell McTominay for the right price
The club are currently planning to open talks with Atalanta for striker Rasmus Hojlund. The 20-year-old won’t come on the cheap. The Serie A outfit value him at £85m.
United are unlikely to meet the demands of the Bergamo club, but it has been reported that they could reach a compromise to sign him for £68.5m with add-ons.
This would take their spending spree to £170m, which is the summer budget before player sales.
They will be hoping for more exits in the coming weeks. Aside from Fred and Van de Beek, Eric Bailly, Dean Henderson and Brandon Williams are anticipated to leave.
In our opinion, McTominay does not fall into this category, and United will only consider his departure if they receive a suitable offer meeting their valuation for him.
The Scot could be the Hammers’ undisputed choice in the number six role, but David Moyes’ side will have to spend to persuade the Red Devils into a summer sale.
His exit would represent pure profit in United’s financial books as he is an academy graduate.
If McTominay were to leave the club alongside Fred and Van de Beek, it is most likely that a new midfielder could arrive. Sofyan Amrabat is the top transfer target.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return