Manchester United could be without five players for Tuesday’s Champions League clash at Villarreal.
The Red Devils recently suffered a fifth league defeat in just seven games, which contributed to the dismissal of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Michael Carrick has now been placed in temporary charge, and the 40-year-old could be without multiple players to face Unai Emery’s side.
Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane are currently sidelined with thigh and hamstring injuries, and the former could be out until the New Year.
Meanwhile, Mason Greenwood will be sidelined for the Villarreal trip as he continues to isolate after testing positive for coronavirus last week.
Edinson Cavani remains doubtful for the encounter, having missed the Watford trip due to a tendon injury suffered before the international break.
Luke Shaw could be another likely absentee after being brought off due to concussion for a second Premier League game running.
As per concussion protocols, he will be assessed over a seven-day period. He could return in time to face Chelsea on Sunday evening.
The Red Devils are currently top of their Champions League group with seven points, ahead of Villarreal on the head-to-head record.
However, they are only two points in front of third-placed Atalanta. A surprise defeat at Villarreal would dent their last 16 prospects.
Cristiano Ronaldo has singlehandedly saved them in Europe this term, with his five goals contributing to them picking up five extra points.
This includes the last-gasp winner in the 95th minute against Villarreal at Old Trafford. The club were outplayed for the best part of an hour.
Villarreal are also in a poor run of form in La Liga, but United can’t afford to take them lightly and need a quick start to assert their dominance.
This has been lacking over the past few months, and there will hopefully be a change tomorrow with the players responding to Solskjaer’s exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash