Manchester United are seventh in the Premier League for goals this season and expected to strengthen the squad this summer to solve their problem in the final third.
Erik ten Hag is searching for a striker, but he may also look to bolster the midfield.
United aren’t short of creativity. Christian Eriksen has bagged one goal and seven assists from 19 league games, creating 25 chances.
Bruno Fernandes has ten goals and 12 assists from 44 games in all competitions. Marcel Sabitzer can also deputise in case of injury, but he’s expected to return to his parent club when the season ends.
This would leave a void for a playmaker type and Daniel Murphy of the Manchester Evening News intimated that Houssem Aouar wouldn’t be a bad option.
The 24-year-old is out of contract at Olympique Lyonnais this summer and could be available on a free transfer.
Aouar has long been linked with a move away from Lyon and was available for €15 million (£13.2m) last year, but the Ligue 1 outfit look set to miss out on a lot of money.
The French international has made just 12 appearances across the board this season, scoring one goal with one assist. He’s spent much of the campaign injured or on the bench, so he’s not had the best year.
United want a squad capable of challenging on all fronts next season, so they won’t want players with injury problems who are coming off the back of poor form.
Aouar was once on the radar of big clubs but hasn’t lived up to his potential at Lyon and might not be the best option for Ten Hag.
Being a free transfer will convince suitors to gamble, but that may not be United. Eriksen and Fernandes aren’t going anywhere this summer and Aouar isn’t an improvement on the pair.
Stats from Transfermarkt and WhoScored
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’