Manchester United have cooled their interest in signing Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria this summer, Sky Sport Germany claims.
Zakaria can sign a pre-contract with his Gladbach deal expiring in the summer. It is now reported that United are no longer pursuing the player and have cooled their interest.
Bayern Munich are deemed front-runners to sign the 25-year-old. They see him as a replacement for Corentin Tolisso, who could leave on a free transfer when his contract expires in June.
Zakaria has been associated with a Premier League move over the past few weeks. With Rangnick’s vast knowledge of German football, the midfielder has been linked with United.
The Swiss has excellent distribution qualities with 90 per cent passes completed over the current league season, but there are potential flaws in the defensive side of his game.
He is not the best when it comes to tackling while has also been prone to losing concentration.
Zakaria has largely stayed injury-free since his long-term knee injury in 2020, but United are set to look elsewhere.
The decision could be influenced by the club’s plans for a summer rebuild that is expected to happen under a permanent head coach, who may have a different philosophy to Rangnick.
It could be the same case with Zakaria even if he could be signed for a cut-price fee this winter.
Ed Woodward has been charge of transfer deals since 2012, but will be replaced by Richard Arnold as the new CEO on February 1.
This could be another reason behind the lack of business this month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?