Manchester United have made contact with super-agent Jorge Mendes regarding a summer deal for Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos, according to Record (today’s edition, page 8).
The Portugal international is regarded as one of the best young strikers in world football and United are determined to bring him to Old Trafford in the next transfer window.
The hierarchy have already opened talks with his agent Mendes over a transfer, but Record claim that Benfica have no plans to discuss a deal until the end of the season.
The club are currently top of the Primeira Liga with a five-point lead over Porto and they want their players to be fully concentrated on their respective roles for now.
United determined to land Ramos this summer
Ramos played second fiddle to Darwin Nunez at Benfica last season. With the Uruguayan’s exit, he has taken over the mantle to become their leading striker.
The 21-year-old has bagged an impressive 18 goals from 30 outings for Benfica this term. He has also excelled with his link-up play, registering eight assists.
In our view, the youngster has the potential to become a complete striker. He obviously likes the big occasion and recently made the headlines at the World Cup.
Ramos got the surprise nod over Cristiano Ronaldo to lead the line against Switzerland in December and showed his class with an assist and an extraordinary hat-trick.
United are hoping to use their good association with Mendes to land Ramos, but they won’t get him for cheap with his release clause currently at €120 million.
Benfica were reluctant to lose Enzo Fernandez to Chelsea until they agreed to pay the €120m buy-out clause in instalments. It could be similar with Ramos.
This should not be a stumbling block for the Red Devils, particularly if they have a new and ambitious owner replacing the Glazers in the next few weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina