Manchester United are considered favourites to sign Atalanta centre-back Giorgio Scalvini at the end of the season, according to Calciomercato.
The 20-year-old is one of the most sought-after young defenders in Serie A and he is currently being monitored by several elite European clubs.
The Italian is presently valued at around €50 million, but it is claimed that his valuation could increase to €60m as he is likely to pen a new contract.
Calciomercato add that United pose the ‘greatest threat’ in the player’s pursuit this summer ahead of Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli.
Atalanta’s valuation won’t be an ‘insurmountable obstacle’ for the Red Devils.
Scalvini could join United as Varane’s replacement
Scalvini has been a key figure at the heart of Atalanta’s defence.
The centre-back has averaged an impressive two tackles, 2.1 interceptions and 2.2 clearances per game this term. He has won 66 per cent of his aerial duels.
On top of this, he has made 5.7 ball recoveries per appearance. The Italian ace still has room for improvement with his distribution, but his potential is huge.
United could see him as a signing who could contribute to the club’s long-term success. His summer arrival could coincide with the departure of Varane.
Varane’s contract concludes at the end of the June. The hierarchy have decided against triggering a 12-month extension clause in his €397,000-a-week deal.
There have been no talks held over a new contract with a sizeable pay-cut and it looks like the World Cup winner will be leaving on a free transfer in July.
The Red Devils also have a big decision to make over the future of Victor Lindelof. The Swede will enter the final 12 months of his contract in the summer.
Meanwhile, United could have an edge over their rivals in the pursuit of Scalvini due to their good working relationship with Atalanta over recent years.
The club have already signed Amad Diallo and Rasmus Hojlund from the Bergamo outfit.
Stats from Sofascore.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow