Manchester United have confirmed that new signing Wout Weghorst will wear the number 27 shirt ahead of his potential debut against Crystal Palace on Wednesday.
The Netherlands international recently joined from Burnley on loan for the rest of the season and he was involved in his first training session on Sunday afternoon.
United have now confirmed that the Dutchman has been allocated the number 27 shirt – previously worn by the likes of Gary Neville, Mikael Silvestre and Marouane Fellaini.
Weghorst was not registered in time to make the squad for the Manchester derby, but could be involved at Selhurst Park where Erik ten Hag could rotate his players.
Man Utd face key games ahead in top-four pursuit
United’s stunning comeback win over City at Old Trafford has strengthened their top-four grip. They are now five points ahead of fifth-place Tottenham Hotspur with a game in hand.
The club now have the opportunity to extend the advantage by beating Palace on the road on Wednesday. Spurs have a tough encounter at Manchester City 24 hours later.
Weghorst could be handed his United debut off the bench against Patrick Vieira’s side before making his first start against runaway leaders Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium this weekend.
His high pressing could be very useful versus the Gunners, who are still prone to making the odd defensive mistake when opponents tend to close them down in the final third.
Weghorst, who is United’s second signing of the January transfer window after Jack Butland, should provide a different dimension to the attack with his physical and aerial presence.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest