Manchester United have confirmed that defender Raphael Varane will be unavailable for the Premier League clash against Arsenal with an unspecified injury.
The Frenchman sustained the setback during the first half of the 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest, and he was substituted at the half-time interval. Victor Lindelof replaced him after the break.
Speaking after the game, manager Erik ten Hag said that Varane had ‘some complaints‘ and the club have now revealed that he has been ruled out of Sunday’s trip to the Emirates Stadium.
The Red Devils have mentioned that the £30 million-rated star could be out for a ‘few weeks‘.
Varane could return shortly after the international break
This is good news for United, considering the importance of Varane in the starting line-up. Him and Lisandro Martinez have been a big part of the success since Ten Hag took charge at the helm.
In Varane’s absence, Victor Lindelof is expected to partner Martinez in the heart of the defence against the Gunners. The Swede has already been called up twice after the half-time break this season.
United have not conceded a goal when the 29-year-old has been on the field this term. The Swede will be aiming to continue the good form when the Red Devils face off against Mikel Arteta’s side.
The club have not beaten the Gunners in the league on the road since December 2017. Ten Hag will have his sights of ending the barren run at the Emirates Stadium in Sunday’s afternoon kick-off.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin