Manchester United have nominated Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay and Andre Onana for the October Player of the Month award.
The Red Devils have had a mixed start to the campaign and the same has been the case this month.
They started off with a disappointing 3-2 defeat to Galatasaray in the Champions League before a dramatic 2-1 league win over Brentford at Old Trafford.
Following the international break, the club secured two close wins over Sheffield United and Copenhagen – the latter saw Andre Onana save a penalty in stoppage time.
United could not carry on the momentum as they suffered a 3-0 loss in the Manchester derby.
Based on the performances, the Red Devils have picked Maguire, McTominay and Onana for this month’s Player of the Month award.
In our view, the right decision was made. Maguire has been a regular starter for the Red Devils since Lisandro Martinez’s injury.
Maguire came up with the all-important assist for McTominay’s winner versus Brentford before a man of the match display vs Sheffield.
The former captain went on to score the winning goal against Copenhagen in the Champions League.
McTominay, on the other hand, has surprisingly been United’s main scoring threat in the final third.
The Scot came off the bench to score two stoppage time goals in the dramatic 2-1 win over Brentford.
He chipped in with another goal at Bramall Lane where United came on top with a 2-1 scoreline.
Elsewhere, Onana has redeemed himself since his goalkeeping errors against Galatasaray and Brentford.
He made a couple of key saves in the win over Sheffield before saving a last-gasp penalty against Copenhagen which ensured United picked up their first win of the Champions League campaign.
In the Manchester derby, Onana conceded three goals but the margin of defeat could have been wider. The Cameroonian came to United’s rescue with seven saves including three to deny Erling Haaland.
All three are deserving of the award but we believe Onana will get the most number of votes from the fans on the back of stand-out performances for the club since the October international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions