Manchester United have confirmed new shirt numbers for Bruno Fernandes and Tyrell Malacia ahead of their pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia.
Fernandes wore the number 18 shirt on his arrival from Sporting Lisbon two years ago, but it was always anticipated that he could change to number eight once it became available.
The midfielder had previously been the no.8 for Udinese and Sporting, and wears the same shirt number for Portugal. He has now earned the jersey at United following Juan Mata’s recent exit.
Mata wore the shirt for eight-and-a-half seasons. Before him, Anderson, Wayne Rooney, Nicky Butt and Paul Ince donned the jersey since squad numbers were introduced in the Premier League.
Fernandes has been a fantastic performer for United over the past two-and-a-half seasons. He has registered 50 goals and 38 assists from 125 appearances across all competitions.
He was far from his best last term, but still made 23 goal contributions for United. The 27-year-old will be hoping to step up his performances after getting his hands on his preferred no.8 shirt.
Tyrell Malacia to wear no.12 shirt at Man Utd
While confirming Fernandes’ new number, United have also revealed that Malacia will wear no.12. The club’s new signing has either worn no.5 or no.15 from the start of his youth career at Feyenoord.
With the number 5 shirt occupied by captain Harry Maguire, he could have accepted no.15. However, he has chosen a new shirt number as he embarks on an exciting career ahead with the Red Devils.
As thing stand, he remains the club’s only signing of the transfer window. The 22-year-old could make his friendly debut against Liverpool on July 12, having been involved in recent training sessions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot