Manchester United have confirmed new shirt numbers for Bruno Fernandes and Tyrell Malacia ahead of their pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia.
Fernandes wore the number 18 shirt on his arrival from Sporting Lisbon two years ago, but it was always anticipated that he could change to number eight once it became available.
The midfielder had previously been the no.8 for Udinese and Sporting, and wears the same shirt number for Portugal. He has now earned the jersey at United following Juan Mata’s recent exit.
Mata wore the shirt for eight-and-a-half seasons. Before him, Anderson, Wayne Rooney, Nicky Butt and Paul Ince donned the jersey since squad numbers were introduced in the Premier League.
Fernandes has been a fantastic performer for United over the past two-and-a-half seasons. He has registered 50 goals and 38 assists from 125 appearances across all competitions.
He was far from his best last term, but still made 23 goal contributions for United. The 27-year-old will be hoping to step up his performances after getting his hands on his preferred no.8 shirt.
Tyrell Malacia to wear no.12 shirt at Man Utd
While confirming Fernandes’ new number, United have also revealed that Malacia will wear no.12. The club’s new signing has either worn no.5 or no.15 from the start of his youth career at Feyenoord.
With the number 5 shirt occupied by captain Harry Maguire, he could have accepted no.15. However, he has chosen a new shirt number as he embarks on an exciting career ahead with the Red Devils.
As thing stand, he remains the club’s only signing of the transfer window. The 22-year-old could make his friendly debut against Liverpool on July 12, having been involved in recent training sessions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony