Manchester United have confirmed that Anthony Martial has undergone a groin surgery which will keep him out of action for around 10 weeks.
The Frenchman has had a difficult campaign with the Red Devils. He has registered just two goals and two assists from 19 games in all competitions.
Martial has not featured for the club since early December and United have now confirmed that he will be sidelined for 10 weeks after his operation.
A statement from the club read: “Manchester United striker Anthony Martial has completed successful surgery to address a groin complaint and will be out of action for about 10 weeks as he rehabilitates.”
United could invest on short-term striker
Martial has played second fiddle to Rasmus Hojlund up front for most of the campaign.
Despite this, manager Erik ten Hag may want more depth in the centre-forward department as United look to salvage their season by qualifying for Europe.
Marcus Rashford has played up front for United on many occasions, but it is quite clear that the Englishman prefers to operate from the left wing.
The Red Devils are unlikely to afford a permanent signing due to Financial Fair Play concerns and may resort to a temporary deal for a striker until May.
Bayern Munich’s Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting could be a realistic target. The Cameroonian is said to be open to pursuing a move to Old Trafford this winter.
Martial is pencilled to return in early April, as per United’s update. However, the club may handle him with caution. He could take more time to be match fit.
The Frenchman’s contract expires at the end of the June. There is no plan to renew. Hopefully, the £36 million signing can end his United career on a high with goal contributions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow