Manchester United youngster Charlie McNeill has completed a loan move to Newport County for the rest of the campaign, according to the club’s official website.
The 19-year-old is regarded as one of the most promising graduates at the club and he has now been handed the chance to gain valuable first-team experience.
The teenager has joined Newport, who are currently 19th in League Two. He will be hoping to make an impact for them before breaking into Erik ten Hag’s plans.
Charlie McNeil – one for the future
McNeill was fancied to break into the first-team this season, but it has not been the case.
He was the first academy graduate to make his debut under Ten Hag back in September. He came off the bench in the 1-0 Europa League defeat to Real Sociedad at Old Trafford.
That however remains his only appearance for the senior squad. McNeill was involved in a friendly during the winter break but now has the opportunity to prove himself at Newport.
United could have easily sent him on loan to one of the Championship sides, but they have instead opted to accept the proposal from Newport, who will guarantee him a starting spot.
McNeill has the potential to become a Premier League star in future but for now, he has the chance to make a big impression and help the Welsh outfit steer clear of the drop zone.
Meanwhile, there could be more loan departures before the transfer window closes. Anthony Elanga is one of those widely expected to leave with interest from several European teams.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books