Manchester United have confirmed the postponement of tonight’s Premier League clash at Brentford following a COVID-19 outbreak at the club.
Earlier on Sunday, it was reported that there were a small number of positives cases within the squad that travelled to Norwich City.
The players tested negative on their arrival from Carrow Road on Saturday, but there were a few positive lateral flow tests the next morning.
United came up with an official statement on Monday night, confirming that the club won’t be travelling to west London to face the Bees.
A statement on the club’s website read: “Manchester United can confirm that our Premier League fixture at Brentford FC, on Tuesday 14 December at 19:30, has been postponed and will be rescheduled in due course.
“Following PCR confirmation of positive LFT Covid-19 tests among the first-team staff and players, the outbreak requires ongoing surveillance.”
The new omicron variant of the coronavirus has led to a more cautious approach among several countries worldwide.
Football clubs also need to ensure player safety first. United are likely to conduct more tests on the first-team squad in the coming days.
Tottenham Hotspur recently postponed back-to-back matches across all competitions after several players tested positive for COVID-19.
United’s current situation is unclear, but it won’t come as a surprise if the weekend’s encounter against Brighton & Hove Albion is also postponed.
The Carrington Training Complex was closed down for 24 hours amid the outbreak. There could be a disruption in training over the coming days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- After Bayern, agent offers Cristiano Ronaldo to Chelsea
- Man Utd want to sign three Ajax players but may land just one
- Man Utd very close to signing Frenkie de Jong, transfer likely by June 30
- Man Utd can sign Goncalo Inacio with offer close to release clause
- Man Utd need to offer €10m more as fixed fee to sign Frenkie de Jong
- Gary Neville hits out after Man Utd pay out dividends to shareholders
- Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by Jorge Mendes
- Man Utd have made an offer for Leeds star Raphinha
- David Ornstein fancies Christian Eriksen to end up at Man Utd
- Man Utd in pole position to sign Matthijs de Ligt