Manchester United have confirmed that Amad will miss the first part of the 2023/24 campaign with a knee injury suffered during pre-season.
The Ivorian had a productive loan spell with Sunderland in the Championship last term. He scored 14 goals and provided four assists from 42 appearances.
The 21-year-old was involved for United during the early part of pre-season, but unfortunately picked up a knee injury in the 2-0 victory over Arsenal.
Amad was surprisingly back on the bench for the friendly against Real Madrid, but manager Erik ten Hag decided against involving him in the 2-0 loss.
United have now revealed that the Atalanta graduate will be ruled out for the remainder of the year.
Man Utd suffer second setback before new season
United have had a mixed pre-season campaign thus far. They started off with three victories on the bounce before defeats to Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.
Meanwhile, they have also suffered a couple of injury setbacks. Kobbie Mainoo was a revelation at the start of pre-season, but he picked up an ankle injury against Madrid.
Casemiro’s deliberate push on Rodrygo saw him fall onto the left ankle of Mainoo. The 18-year-old suffered the blow in just the second minute of the friendly.
Mainoo has already been ruled out for the first half of the season. United have now suffered a similar blow with Amad being sidelined until the turn of the year.
Amad has shown glimpses of his potential since his €21m move from Atalanta in January 2021, but he has yet to find the consistency to break into the first-team squad.
He had the chance to prove his credentials this summer, but won’t be able to do so after his setback. Hopefully, he can make a quicker recovery than anticipated.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin