With more than six weeks until the opening of the January transfer window Manchester United are being linked with a number of names to upgrade the squad mid-season.
A new centre-back appears to be high on Jose Mourinho’s priority list once again after failing to sign a single player in this position over the summer.
One name that has come up over the past couple of weeks and in previous seasons, is Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin.
The 32-year-old is in the final year of his contract at the Wanda Metropolitano and it is understood there is a £20 million clause in his contract.
According to the Daily Star, we are willing to match the fee in his clause to sign Diego Godin in January. One would have to wonder why we didn’t do this over the summer though.
Further positive news is that the report claims the Uruguayan international is ‘keen’ on agreeing a move to Old Trafford.
There is no doubt that we need another centre-back or two as soon as possible. Jose Mourinho has fallen out with Eric Bailly and the current partnership of Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof so far doesn’t have the making of a top four duo. We’ve kept just one clean sheet in our first 12 Premier League games this season.
Atletico Madrid have conceded only eight goals in La Liga so far this season with the leadership of Godin at the back. The 32-year-old is currently in his ninth season in Madrid, and was an integral part of the side that surprisingly won the top flight in 2013-14, as well as reaching two Champions League finals.
Diego Godin would most certainly be welcome at Manchester United as early as January as we look to compete for a top four spot to ensure Champions League football again next season.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd