Manchester United are closing in on a deal to sign Chelsea winger Willian, according to reports.
The 29-year-old has been linked with a Jose Mourinho reunion for more than a year now and it appears we could finally land our target this summer.
Earlier this summer Willian said he was considering a move to us and would leave Stamford Bridge if Antonio Conte was still the Chelsea manager. It’s early July now and Conte is still in charge of the Blues.
According to a report in the Sun, Manchester United are confident that we will sign Willian now that Brazil have been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup and that we have even won the race to sign him, with Barcelona previously interested.
Apparently we were just waiting for the South American nation to return home from Russia before moving in quickly to complete a deal for the right winger.
We have been linked to a number of players in Willian’s position this summer so it would certainly not be a surprise if Jose does sign a new player for the right-hand side of attack. The boss was never settled on anyone in this position, with Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard, among others, all seeing time in that role last season.
Jose has worked with Willian previously at Chelsea. The Brazilian international is a hardworking player, so you can understand why the Portuguese coach would be interested in reuniting with him. Willian offers a threat in both open play and from set pieces, and works hard off the ball to help win it back for his side.
However, what price would Chelsea be willing to accept from one of their Premier League rivals? They faced a lot of criticism from fans and journalists last summer for selling us Nemanja Matic.
Though with Willian falling out with Antonio Conte you wouldn’t be surprised if the winger does move on from Stamford Bridge this summer. It’s just a case of where his destination will be. Hopefully Old Trafford…
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal