Manchester United are likely to compete with Brentford to sign Christian Eriksen, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Dane joined the Bees on a short-term deal in January, and was hugely impressive with one goal and four assists from 11 appearances.
His superb return to competitive football has caught the eye of manager Erik ten Hag, and United have now ‘confirmed’ their interest to his agent.
Eriksen’s current contract expires on June 30 and Romano reports that United are in a straight tussle with the Bees to sign the playmaker.
Meanwhile, Tottenham Hotspur have been linked with their former player, but have now turned their attention to bolstering other positions.
Eriksen suffered a shock cardiac arrest at the European Championships last summer, but went on to make a terrific recovery before joining Brentford.
Ten Hag will have monitored his progress, considering Eriksen had worked on his fitness with Ajax before he made his Premier League comeback.
Eriksen operated from the centre of the park for Brentford, but most of the times, he was engaged in the final third of the pitch, creating chances.
The 30-year-old may not be considered as a genuine starter for United, but he would provide strong competition to Bruno Fernandes next term.
Fernandes has been an undisputed choice in the number 10 role, and there is now no competition with Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard leaving the club.
The £18 million-rated star would be a quality acquisition for that department. The prospect of playing in Europe should convince him to join.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause