Manchester United are close to landing the signature of former Lazio goalkeeper Thomas Strakosha, 90min report.
The Red Devils have been fancied to sign a new shot-stopper this summer after allowing Dean Henderson to join Nottingham Forest on loan.
Watford’s Daniel Bachmann was initially mentioned as the top target, but the Hornets’ asking price may have put them off from pursuing him.
It is now reported that they are about to sign Strakosha, who is a free-agent after the expiry of Lazio contract. An agreement is ‘already in place’.
Strakosha would be a solid competitor to David de Gea
De Gea had a superb 2021/22 campaign for the Red Devils. He singlehandedly won several points for the club with world-class saves.
As a result, he is expected to start the new season as the number one, but his credentials will be tested with a different tactical approach.
Over the years, De Gea has been known for his terrific reflexes between the sticks, but under manager Erik ten Hag, he may need to do much more.
Ten Hag relies on goalkeepers that are comfortable with the ball at their feet and can also command their own box with occasional high claims.
De Gea is not comfortable in either of those aspects. The arrival of Strakosha would mean that the Spaniard has no room for errors.
The 27-year-old is good with his short and long-range distribution. He completed 81 per cent of his passes last term compared to De Gea’s 69.
In terms of long balls, he also managed twice the number as De Gea (6.3 to 3.1) per appearance. Hence, he would be an upgrade in this aspect.
The Albania international does have a weakness when it comes to handling long range shots, but has the chance to improve under Ten Hag’s tutelage.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January