Manchester United are in pole position to sign Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic after Manchester City refused to match the Spanish giants’ £80 million asking price, according to reports.
We have already landed one central midfielder in Fred this summer, which makes it a surprise for us to continue to be linked to other players in this same position.
Following the arrival of the Brazilian international and Marouane Fellaini signing a new contract, Jose Mourinho now has six central midfielders at his disposal to use in his 4-3-3 formation.
Prior to Fellaini renewing his contract we had been strongly linked with a move for Mateo Kovacic, who himself, earlier this summer, had hinted at his intention to leave Real Madrid to find more regular first team football.
It initially looked as though we were going to lock horns with Manchester City again in a transfer battle with several reports suggesting that both of us had registered interest in the Croatian international.
However, we are now in an excellent position to bring the 24-year-old to Old Trafford this summer as Sky Sports are reporting that Pep Guardiola’s side have withdrawn from the battle after refusing to meet Real Madrid’s £80 million demands.
It still remains to be seen whether we will meet with the Champions League holders’ asking price ourselves. It’s certainly a substantial fee for a player who hasn’t seen a great deal of first team football since arriving in the Spanish capital from Internazionale in 2015.
Mateo Kovacic made only 10 La Liga starts last season, competing alongside the likes of Luka Modric, Toni Kroos and Casemiro in the Real Madrid midfield.
The central midfielder was once considered to be one of the hottest prospects in Europe during his time at Inter Milan and still has bags of potential so there’s no doubt he could be a good signing for us.
He was part of the Croatian squad that made it to the World Cup final.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup