Marouane Fellaini is in the final four months of his contract at Manchester United with no sign that the midfielder is set to put pen to paper over a new deal.
The weeks continue to pass by with no new deal being inked and it appears the big Belgian could be set to depart Old Trafford over the summer.
Now the Manchester United hierarchy are ready to accept defeat in their attempts to keep the 30-year-old, according to a report in the Metro.
The tall midfielder has been a popular choice of Jose Mourinho’s this season when fit. However, Fellaini has struggled for fitness for much of this season and is currently out until April having recently undergone knee surgery.
As a result Fellaini has made just 12 Premier League appearances (3 starts) this season, totaling just 409 minutes. That’s been long enough for the former-Everton star to net three goals.
He has been strongly linked with a move to Turkey, whilst there are also suitors in both Italy and Spain for the player that David Moyes splashed out £27.5 million on in the summer of 2013.
With Michael Carrick set to retire in the summer, losing Fellaini as well would mean Jose Mourinho will be in the market for a new central midfielder or two over the summer. The boss has recently switched to a 4-3-3 formation following the January signing of Alexis Sanchez, and the only other options we currently have on the books are Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera and Scott McTominay.
Marouane Fellaini is a unique player in our squad in that he can be brought on as an impact sub by being a target man – something that only Romelu Lukaku really offers us in the squad. He has often been used as a substitute to help see out games and even add to the score once called upon this season.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup