Manchester United have been handed the opportunity to sign Benfica goalkeeper Odysseas Vlachodimos for just €10 million, according to O Jogo (page 7).
The Greece international has been Benfica’s number one for the past five years, making over 200 appearances. However, he was recently dropped from the matchday squad by manager Roger Schmidt.
Samuel Soares started in the 2-0 victory over Estrela Amadora last weekend. Summer signing Anatoliy Trubin made the bench ahead of Vlachodimos.
O Jogo claim that Benfica have opened the door for his departure and his next destination could be the Red Devils, who are eyeing a new deputy keeper.
Vlachodimos signed a new contract in March with a release clause worth €60 million, but Benfica are prepared to sell him for a modest fee of €10m.
Vlachodimos would be a good deputy for Andre Onana
Dean Henderson is currently the back-up goalkeeper for the Red Devils, but the club graduate is widely expected to leave the club before the transfer deadline.
His departure could coincide with the arrival of Vlachodimos. United are already exploring a deal and could make a formal bid as soon as Henderson departs.
The Greek would be a good acquisition in our view. He had a passing accuracy of 80 per cent in the Primeira Liga last term with a save success rate of 73 per cent.
He does not possess the sweeper-keeper ability of Onana, but has a solid presence in the box and can make high claims. At €10m, it would be a fair deal for United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions