Manchester United could make a serious attempt to sign Napoli defender Kim Min-jae this summer due to the low release clause in his contract, Calciomercato report.
The centre-back joined Napoli from Fenerbahce for €18 million last summer and he has since been a revelation for them with several stand-out performances.
His progress has caught United’s radar and Calciomercato claim that they ‘can be serious’ for him this summer due to the €50m foreign release clause in his deal.
Meanwhile, Napoli are currently in talks with the player’s entourage. They are aiming to hand him an improved deal while ‘removing or raising the figure of the clause’.
Kim Min-jae would be a superb signing
Kim Min-jae was a relatively unknown when he joined Napoli but he has since enhanced his reputation with a number of outstanding performances for club and country.
The South Korean has completed a stunning 91 per cent of his passes in Serie A this term. He has also won nearly two tackles per appearance while making four clearances.
Aside from this, he has won nearly 70 per cent of his aerial duels. In our opinion, the 26-year-old would have no concerns in adapting to the demands of the Premier League.
With Harry Maguire possibly on his way out this summer, Min-jae could be brought in to provide strong competition to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez for a starting spot.
Min-jae is a right-footed defender by trade but he is comfortable playing in both central defensive positions. It appears a no-brainer signing for United at that price (€50m).
For now, United can only play the waiting game until July and hope that the defender continues to resist the prospect of signing a new contract with the runaway Serie A leaders.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books