Manchester United are best placed to sign Marseille midfielder Boubacar Kamara at the end of the campaign, Spanish publication Marca claims.
The Frenchman has built his reputation with Les Phoceens over the past few years but has his sights on pursuing a bigger challenge this summer.
His current contract with the Ligue 1 outfit expires in June. They are willing to sell him this month but want at least €10 million for his services.
Atletico Madrid recently failed with a €5m bid. It is now claimed that United are favourites to sign him on a free transfer this summer.
Kamara can play as either a defensive midfielder or a centre-back, but he has operated from the former of those positions this term.
The 22-year-old has been a quality presence with his tackling, aerial ability and urge to get onto the ball from the centre of the park.
He has registered an impressive 61 passes per league game which is far better than Scott McTominay (40) and Fred (51) this campaign.
The Frenchman has plenty of room for improvement at his age, but United appear unlikely to make a mid-season move for his signature.
The club are planning to halt their transfer business until the summer when they are able to confirm a new permanent head coach.
Kamara, who is valued at €25m by Transfermarkt, could come in as a replacement for Paul Pogba, who has not ended his contract stand-off.
The World Cup winner is free to negotiate terms with foreign clubs this month, having ended the final six months of his United deal.
Stats from WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final