Manchester United are expected to sign a central midfielder when the summer transfer window opens and the list of potential targets continues to grow.
The Red Devils have previously been linked with Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham, Chelsea’s Mason Mount and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Ruben Neves.
Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano now says Borussia Mönchengladbach midfielder Manu Kone is the latest name on their radar. Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain are also interested.
The 21-year-old joined Gladbach from Toulouse in 2021 and has gone on to make 54 appearances in all competitions, bagging four goals and two assists.
Kone has two-and-a-half years remaining on his deal at Borussia-Park but could be open to a move away as he’s always wanted to join a bigger club.
The French U21 international has averaged more tackles (2.6) and more dribbles per game (1.9) than any United player, so it’s easy to see why Erik ten Hag is keen.
And while the United manager looks to have an overabundance of midfielders from the outside, five of United’s nine options may not play next season.
Scott McTominay is expendable and might be sold as he’s not commanding a regular starting place.
Donny van de Beek has spent most of the season injured and doesn’t look to have a future beyond the summer. Marcel Sabitzer is only on loan and will return to his parent club at the end of the season.
Then there’s Kobbie Mainoo who is only 17 and has made just three senior appearances, while Zidane Iqbal has just one senior appearance to his name.
Both players won’t be regulars next season, but Kone would be a regular in the first-team squad.
Romano claims he would cost around €50 million (£43.9m) this summer, and time will tell where he ends up.
Stats from Transfermarkt and WhoScored
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season