Manchester United have revived their interest in signing Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries ahead of the transfer deadline, according to The Times.
The Red Devils are aiming to make multiple signings before the transfer window closes, and a new right-back is one of the priorities for Erik ten Hag.
The Dutch tactician is eyeing a strong competitor to Diogo Dalot, and it is reported that he is prepared to part ways with Aaron Wan-Bissaka for the right offer.
As things stand, Sergino Dest, Thomas Meunier and Dumfries are the options under consideration, but two of those may not leave their respective teams.
Dest is said to be determined to stay with Barcelona this term while Borussia Dortmund seem unlikely to part ways with Meunier so late in the transfer window.
Earlier today, Borussia Dortmund director Sebastian Kehl ruled out the prospect of the Belgium international leaving the club before the deadline.
United could make late attempt to sign Dumfries
Dumfries had a superb debut campaign with Inter Milan last season, registering five goals and seven assists from 45 appearances across all competitions.
The 26-year-old has continued the good form this term with one goal in two outings. He scored a dramatic late winner against Lecce in the Serie A opener.
Dumfries has exclusively played from right wing-back for Inter, but that may not be a bad thing for United, considering Ten Hag prefers attacking full-backs.
The 52-year-old likes to have his full-backs operating higher up the field such that they can make regular overlapping runs as well as create key chances in the box.
With this in mind, Dumfries would be a fantastic signing. He should not have any trouble in adapting to the back four, having been a right-back for most of his career.
The Netherlands international would be an upgrade on Dalot, but the big question is whether United would be willing to meet the high asking price for his services.
Inter could be tempted to sell with their tight financial situation, but are unlikely to do so on a cut-price deal. Earlier this month, Dumfries was valued at £42 million.
It will be interesting to see whether United will pay such a fee if they end up signing Ajax winger Antony. The Brazilian is set to cost a hefty package of around £84m.
Ten Hag was reportedly determined to bring Dumfries to the club earlier this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI