Manchester United football director John Murtough has asked Paul Pogba to delay his future decision until the club announce a new permanent manager, ESPN reports.
The Frenchman’s future has been a regular topic of speculation in recent months, having yet to agree terms over a renewal. He has under five months left on his contract.
The 28-year-old is free to negotiate terms with foreign clubs with interest from Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus, but the Red Devils remain hopeful of keeping him.
Murtough has asked the £49.5 million-rated star to delay his future decision until a new head coach is appointed.
The same is the case for Anthony Martial and Donny van de Beek, who are away on loan.
Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag are among the front-runners for the job, but there remains the possibility of interim boss Ralf Rangnick staying for another campaign.
Pogba has been in a contract stand-off with United since last summer. His spokesman recently dismissed speculation that the Red Devils had made an offer of £500,000-per-week.
The midfielder’s current focus remains on returning to the pitch after being sidelined for the past three months with a thigh injury suffered in France training.
Rangnick recently confirmed that Pogba could return after the winter break. He could play in the upcoming FA Cup fourth round tie against Middlesbrough.
As things stand, Pogba appears content to delay his future decision until the summer. There have been suggestions he could extend his stay if Rangnick continues as manager.
The 63-year-old has not ruled out the possibility, but it may not be a wise decision for the club, considering he is unlikely to continue at the helm on a long-term agreement.
While he has spoken fondly about his plans for Pogba, Martial and Van de Beek may not welcome the German’s decision to stay, having been considered fringe players.
A new head coach would be the ideal solution, with Rangnick taking up a consultancy role. Only time will tell whether Pogba can be convinced to continue with the Red Devils.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars