Manchester United appreciate the profile of Napoli striker Victor Osimhen, Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
The Red Devils recently confirmed the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo on a free transfer and they are now on the look out for a quality replacement.
Osimhen is one of the top names on the club’s radar, but Plettenberg claims that a transfer could be unlikely during the January transfer window.
United appreciate the striker’s strong attributes such as his speed, finishing and physicality and feel he is ready to handle the demands of the Premier League.
However, they are reluctant to pay ‘a crazy fee’ of around £86 million to land his services this winter.
Osimhen would be a fabulous signing
Osimhen is currently in his third campaign with Napoli where he has developed into an elite striker. He has bagged 10 goals and three assists from just 14 appearances.
The 23-year-old has helped Napoli move eight points ahead of AC Milan at the top of the Serie standings. The club are aiming to end a 33-year wait for the Scudetto.
With this in mind, Napoli have no reason to sell him midway through the campaign unless their asking price is met. It would be a big statement from United if they can land him.
Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial are presently the striker options, but it is quite clear that Rashford prefers the left wing. Meanwhile, Martial’s fitness can’t be relied upon.
The Frenchman has spent time on the sidelines with three injuries this term. The Red Devils can’t afford to depend on him to stay unscathed for the remainder of the campaign.
Hence, they require another quality striker. A specialist in the form of Osimhen would be a fantastic acquisition for United, but a huge outlay on him in January seems unlikely.
With the prospect of the Glazers selling the club in the coming months, spending could be kept at a minimum this winter. The focus could be a low-cost replacement for Ronaldo.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities