Manchester United and Nottingham Forest are confident of finalising a season-long loan deal for goalkeeper Dean Henderson, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
The England international was a regular starter during the final months of the 2020/21 campaign, but struggled for minutes last term with David de Gea being the undisputed shot-stopper.
He was limited to just three senior appearances in all competitions. Hence, it is not surprising that he is eyeing a fresh challenge, and United seem content to loan him out to Forest.
The newly-promoted outfit initially proposed to land him on a temporary deal with an option to buy for £20 million, but the clause was not acceptable to United. Henderson will now join them on a dry loan.
With personal terms agreed, Romano claims that both clubs are confident of finalising the short-term deal this week. Forest will become Henderson’s fifth separate loan club.
Henderson made 26 appearances for the Red Devils during the 2020/21 campaign. He was a regular goalkeeper in the Cup competitions and also started in the Premier League from March.
It was anticipated that he could carry on and become United’s number one. However, it was not the case last season. De Gea’s exceptional form in goal kept him out of contention for a starting role.
The Spaniard’s performances between the sticks had come for scrutiny over the past few years, but he was back at his best last season. The 31-year-old single-handedly won several points for the club.
He is now expected to start the new campaign under manager Erik ten Hag as the first-choice. Henderson’s temporary exit could suit him on a personal level as he could push for a World Cup spot.
The move could also benefit United in the long run. If De Gea struggles to play out from the back next season, there is the possibility that Henderson could get the chance to prove himself.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest