Manchester United and Barcelona have joined the race for AC Milan captain Alessio Romagnoli amid the defender’s contractual uncertainty in Italy.
As reported by Fichajes, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund will face stiff competition for Romagnoli’s signature.
United and Barcelona are bracing themselves for a busy summer, with both sides looking to improve their current defensive options when the transfer window reopens for business.
Ronald Koeman is determined to replace injury-prone Samuel Umtiti, who could be on his way out of Camp Nou at the end of the season.
Meanwhile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is searching for a reliable partner for Harry Maguire.
United’s prime defensive objective for the summer remains Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane.
The Frenchman has already opened talks with Old Trafford chiefs over the prospect of wearing the coveted red jersey next year.
However, if the Red Devils fail to seal the deal with Madrid, they may turn their attention towards Romagnoli.
Since arriving from Roma in 2015, the 26-year-old has established himself as one of the best defenders in Serie A.
Hard tackling, aerial strength and solid technique make Romagnoli the complete package.
While enjoying his rise to prominence at the San Siro, the Italian centre-back has amassed over 210 appearances for the Rossoneri en route to receiving the captain’s armband.
Represented by Mino Raiola, Romagnoli has yet to sign a new deal at Milan, with his current contract running until summer 2022.
Although the club would like to tie their stalwart down to fresh terms, Raiola’s involvement could ruin their plans.
Unless a new deal is struck by the end of the season, Milan may well cut ties with Romagnoli in the upcoming transfer window.
The resurgent Serie A giants are reportedly ready to accept the offers in the region of €30 million.
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract