Manchester United have been fancied to revive their interest in Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot next year, according to Italian outlet TuttoJuve.
The Frenchman was heavily linked with the Red Devils during the recent transfer window, but a deal failed to materialise following a disagreement over personal terms.
The hierarchy had agreed a transfer fee with the Bianconeri, but they hit a roadblock during contract discussions with the player’s mother and agent Veronique.
It proved a blessing in disguise as the club ended up signing Casemiro from Real Madrid.
TuttoJuve now report that the Bianconeri will find it difficult to keep Rabiot beyond this season when his contract expires. They are unable to meet his £8.8 million per year demands.
It is added that the Premier League could be Rabiot’s most likely destination. United are mentioned as candidates alongside English rivals Arsenal and Liverpool.
Rabiot has been a player transformed this season
The Frenchman had a difficult 2021/22 campaign. His passing stats were down with an accuracy of just 83 per cent. Juventus were more than happy to sell him over the summer.
However, a transfer did not materialise with either United or any other side. The Bianconeri eventually decided to loan out Arthur and Denis Zakaria to lower their wage bill.
Rabiot has since turned the corner with the Serie A outfit. He has completed over 90 per cent passes this season and recently chipped in with two Champions League goals.
If he can sustain his form until the New Year, there will be plenty of interest. Ideally, foreign clubs may seek to sign him on a pre-contract agreement to join them next summer.
It remains to be seen whether United will be in the hunt. The club were previously reluctant to meet his wage requirements, but the scenario could change with no transfer fee involved.
United were prepared to pay £15m to the Bianconeri in August. The Red Devils could now attempt to land the 27-year-old on a free transfer if he does not demand a significant signing-on fee.
The prospect of signing Rabiot this summer was not well received by many fans, but he is a player that would suit manager Erik ten Hag with his strong distribution and tackling skills.
Ten Hag personally spoke with Rabiot to convince him over a transfer and we won’t be surprised if the club decide to revive their transfer interest at the beginning of the New Year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season