Manchester United are one of the leading clubs interested in signing Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans this summer, Italian outlet Tuttosport claims.
The Belgium international has been a key player for the Foxes for the past three years, but could be on the move this summer. He has yet to extend his contract expiring in June 2023.
According to Tuttosport, Juventus are exploring a summer deal for the versatile midfielder, but they are set to face fierce competition from two Premier League clubs in particular.
United are one of the main admirers of the former Monaco man while Arsenal have also been credited with an interest in the 24-year-old.
Tielemans has generally operated from the central midfield or defensive midfield roles for the Foxes. He has impressed this term with an average of more than two tackles per league game.
Aside from his defensive contributions, he has also excelled in the offensive scheme of things. He has amassed six goals and two assists in the top-flight with an average of two shots on target.
Hence, he has evolved into a quality box-to-box midfielder. Fred has shown similar attributes under Ralf Rangnick, but Tielemans could be an ideal signing, who can contribute over the next decade.
At 24, he is about to register a staggering 400 appearances in his club career. The Belgian has an experienced head on his shoulders, and could be a perfect fit at the heart of the Red Devils midfield.
With Erik ten Hag on course to become United’s manager, he would also suit the Dutchman’s style of play with his regular forward runs, tireless workrate and desire to make tackles.
Tielemans is currently valued at around £49.5 million by Transfermarkt, but Brendan Rodgers’ side may have to accept a lesser fee this summer as he is about to enter the final year of his contract.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January
- Tyrell Malacia stars against Belgium to cement Manchester United place ahead of Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises Manchester United’s summer signing Christian Eriksen
- Manchester United should move on from Cristiano Ronaldo in January
- Manchester United should be half-owned by ‘real fans’, says Eric Cantona