Manchester United are one of the clubs that are monitoring Sporting Lisbon duo Ousmande Diomande and Goncalo Inacio, who are anticipated to leave this summer.
The central defenders have played a big part in Sporting’s impressive league campaign. The club are currently one point ahead of Benfica at the top of the table.
It is now reported by Record that the club are already looking for new centre-backs this summer with both Diomande and Inacio likely to head for the exit door.
Diomande and Inacio currently have release clauses worth €80m and €60m in their respective contracts.
Record highlight that the Red Devils are one of the clubs that have been ‘in-and-out’ of Sporting matches to monitor the progress of the highly-rated defensive duo.
United should give preference to signing Diomande
The club are likely to invest on at least one central defender this summer. Raphael Varane could walk away on a free transfer with his contract expiring on June 30.
The hierarchy have decided against triggering an extension clause in his deal and a renewal seems unlikely unless he accepts a significant pay-cut on his wages.
His exit could pave the way for a new arrival. In our view, Diomande would be an ideal signing as he is a strong ball-playing defender that likes to engage in challenges.
The 20-year-old is a right-sided centre-back. He has a passing accuracy of 91 per cent his term. The Ivorian has won 1.5 tackles per game and 64 per cent of his duels.
Diomande has been strong in the air, winning 72 per cent of his aerial challenges. He has also made 5.7 ball recoveries per outing. He has the traits to become an elite player.
We believe he would be a better investment over Inacio, who is left-footed and may only be seen as a back-up, considering Lisandro Martinez is an undisputed starter when fit.
Inacio is also less effective in the air and in tackles. Diomande is clearly a better choice for United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts