Manchester United are already negotiating with Barcelona over the possible transfer of Sergino Dest, according to Sport.
The Red Devils are looking to bolster multiple positions before the transfer deadline, and a new right-back is said to be among the priorities.
Dest has been regularly linked in recent weeks, and Sport claim that United are ‘already negotiating’ with the Catalan giants to secure his services.
United recently proposed a swap deal for the USA international, but Barcelona are quite clear that they want a straight-cash transfer of €20 million.
‘Contacts have intensified’ between the clubs lately, but it is claimed that United have to offload someone in the position first before signing him.
They may need to be quick over the same, given Chelsea are also interested in Dest despite Cesar Azpilicueta signing a new contract this month.
Man Utd need to act fast to sign Dest from Barcelona
United have been very slow with their transfer business. They have signed just three players in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez.
A fourth could be on the cards with advanced negotiations for Adrien Rabiot. The Juventus midfielder could arrive over the coming days if personal terms are agreed.
Still, many fans will not be satisfied with the rebuild thus far and there could be frantic transfer activity from the club before the window closes on September 1.
A right-back could be pursued to compete with Diogo Dalot, considering Aaron Wan-Bissaka has not impressed Ten Hag. His future with the club is uncertain.
Wan-Bissaka is one of the best tacklers in the division, but he has barely offered anything going forward. This has seen Diogo Dalot get the regular nod over him this year.
Dalot is better when it comes to long-range passing, overlapping runs as well as crossing ability, but he did not register a goal or an assist for the whole of last season.
Dest would be a solid upgrade on the duo. Ten Hag knows him well from his time at Ajax. He handed him his debut during the 2019/2020 season before he left for Barcelona.
The USA star is an attacking right-back, who can also operate on the opposite end. He has also played as a right winger occasionally, and would be a shrewd signing for United.
At the reported price, the 21-year-old would be a bargain purchase. He has plenty of potential in him to develop into a leading right-back for United in years to come.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra