Manchester United reached an agreement to sign Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Menino this summer but pulled out of the deal due to many factors, according to Premier League Brasil.
The Red Devils were aiming to sign a defensive midfielder during the closing stages of the recent transfer window. They succeeded in the end with Sofyan Amrabat arriving from Fiorentina on loan.
However, it appears that United were interested in signing someone else. Menino was recommended by United’s analysis department and was viewed as a perfect element for the club.
An official bid of £8 million was accepted by Palmeiras president Leila Pereira in late August, but the Red Devils ended up giving up on the summer deal due to many factors.
United made the right decision with Amrabat loan
Menino has been with Palmeiras since breaking through their youth system. He has accumulated nearly 200 appearances for the Serie A outfit across all competitions.
The 23-year-old is a defensive midfielder by trade, but he can also operate from central midfield or at right-back. This could have been a reason behind United’s interest.
Despite this, we believe United made the right decision to land Amrabat. The Moroccan star has proven himself at the highest level and has played under Erik ten Hag.
Bringing Menino would have been cheaper, but the midfielder may have struggled to adapt to the Premier League, having played his entire career in Brazilian football.
On top of this, the club could have faced issues in getting a work permit in time, considering he is not an exceptional young talent and has not represented the national team.
Fiorentina’s decision to accept a huge loan fee up front for Amrabat may have also urged United to pull the plug on the proposed agreement to land Menino from Palmeiras.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions